Sometime back we saw a post by actress Richa Chadha on instagram about her anxiety and sleeplessness during lockdown because of Covid-19. You can read about anxiety related sleep issues here… and also for few tips to sleep better.
As corona virus is already a cause of concern worldwide, there is one thing worse than the pandemic itself; the fear generated in the masses. According to psychologists, it is essential to step back from the fear that is spreading and learn to cope up with the negative emotions that are trying to overpower us.
As COVID-19 can be contagious, so can be the emotions. The prominent reason behind the spread of fear are the endless conversations and debates which one needs to avoid for mental peace. To help cope, make certain rules…
- Covid-19 should not be the sole point of discussion to be had while on the dining table every day. It is perfect to build boundaries and not talk about COVID-19.
- A simple factual update from a reliable source once a day should be enough for the day rather than beating over the same bush 24/7.
- According to psychologists, a clear difference between the ‘factual threat’ and ‘perceived threat’ should be made. Information on factual threat shall always come from reliable sources like the World Health Organization (though certain countries are questioning WHO reliability also) but surely the perceived threat can magnify the danger a hundred times. When perceived threat goes up, so goes the anxiety of the people. So because of that the factual threat is amplified and you start seeing more risk that it actually is.
- Another challenge that comes along with anxiety is the uncertainty, and it is a real task to tackle uncertainty. We agree that though it is difficult yet not impossible to control the virus at a global level. But as an individual, we need to control our individual responses to it.
- Every mental health expert is of the opinion that whatever distress people are going through right now, shall pass. There surely is not going to be any long term psychiatric distress from this virus. The momentary stress, anxiety, panic, fear, intrusive thoughts all are valid and people will cope with this.
- We need to spend minimum time on social media,as that is the place which gives birth to all the anxiety and stress. Negative information about the virus served right in front of us through social media leads to social distortion.
What we must do!
- Frankly speaking this time is the excellent opportunity to spend some quality family time and work on relationships. Try to figure out why and where the relationships or family is going wrong.
- Showing kindness with words is the best you can do to those who are stuck alone in lonely places.
- You can rather think of the ways you can help your elderly neighbors to cope with the immunity. WHO suggests few interesting ones like sharing a movie on video call.
So be calm, avoid stress and enjoy your home stay without anxiety.
You might like reading these also-